Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Take the Time to be Thankful


Let me share this passage, one of my favorites from the book Esther: A Woman of Strength and Dignity by Charles R. Swindoll.

(Ben Patterson in his excellent book Waiting: Finding Hope When God Seems silent) wrote: There is a lovely poem which speaks to this wonderfully. It was reputedly written by a young soldier who received massive and permanently debilitating injuries in the Civil War. He lived as a cripple the rest of his days, wrestling and waiting for God to show His face, His purpose in it all. At the end of his strugglings, he wrote this:


I asked for strength that I might achieve;
I was made weak that I might obey.

I asked for health that I might do greater things;
I was given infirmity that I might do better things.

I asked for riches that I might be happy;
I was  given poverty that I might be wise.

I asked for power that I might have the praise of men;
I was given weakness that I might feel the need of God.

I asked for all things that I might enjoy life;
I was given life that I might enjoy all things.

I have received nothing I asked for, all that I hoped for.

My prayer is answered.

2 comments:

  1. Goes to show how wise God is. And how important it is to be grateful for whatever blessing he bestows on us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God really know's what works best in us. We just need to trust and have a brave soul to face whatever he plan to us:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...